Some of our law makers have lost their mind. Sen. John Valentine, R-Orem, introduced a bill that would require restaurants that pour alcohol to do so behind a 10 foot wall. This would require Chili's, Iggys, Applebees, The Olive Garden and any other restaurant build a 10 foot wall around their bar area. I would be interested to know if Sen Valentine has a 50 foot wall around his home in order to protect his kids from all evil in the world. It might be better for you, Sen. Valentine, to educate your kids about alcohol rather than shelter them from it and not let them see alcohol being poured or drank in a restaurant. If something does not go along with your personal values, will you then write a bill to hide that from Utah? What about a bill to require coffee drinkers to use special cups without the Starbuck or other coffee logo? Even non drinkers find your idea of a 10 foot wall ridiculous. There are hundreds of comments on the KSL.com website and not one agrees with this idea.
What then do you propose in a grocery store or convenience store? Oh, I know- a special alcohol area where they scan your drivers license and store the information in a database each time you enter. Until then, one minute little Johnny walks down the soda isle looking for a case of diet pepsi, and the next minute we find him out back in an ally passed out and laying in a puddle of his own urine.
It goes on to say that it would make it illegal for someone to show signs of being drunk. Show signs of being drunk?? I have lived in Utah most my life and I can tell you that Mormons dont need alcohol to have a good time and act as though they are drunk. Loud, obnoxious, laughing, having a good time... Are these signs of being drunk? What about someone with cerebral palsy with slurred speech and walking a little awkard? I know most Utahns have the perception that those that drink alcohol do so to get plastered drunk. While some do, most drink socially and will have one or two drinks without it making them "drunk". I dont at all condone drinking alcohol and I see the negative effects of alcohol, but I do realize the majority that do drink, do so in a controlled manner.
Whats next for these representatives? A bill that requires all tattoos to be covered while in public? No outrageous hair styles in public? Are these ideas too far off compaired to your 10 foot wall idea?
Sen. Valentine..... You are the laughing stock of Utah and soon to be the U.S once CNN, Newsweek, USA Today and other media pick up this story. Thanks for making Utah look more like a backwards society than we already appear to the rest of the Nation.
It goes on to say that it would make it illegal for someone to show signs of being drunk. Show signs of being drunk?? I have lived in Utah most my life and I can tell you that Mormons dont need alcohol to have a good time and act as though they are drunk. Loud, obnoxious, laughing, having a good time... Are these signs of being drunk? What about someone with cerebral palsy with slurred speech and walking a little awkard? I know most Utahns have the perception that those that drink alcohol do so to get plastered drunk. While some do, most drink socially and will have one or two drinks without it making them "drunk". I dont at all condone drinking alcohol and I see the negative effects of alcohol, but I do realize the majority that do drink, do so in a controlled manner.
Whats next for these representatives? A bill that requires all tattoos to be covered while in public? No outrageous hair styles in public? Are these ideas too far off compaired to your 10 foot wall idea?
Sen. Valentine..... You are the laughing stock of Utah and soon to be the U.S once CNN, Newsweek, USA Today and other media pick up this story. Thanks for making Utah look more like a backwards society than we already appear to the rest of the Nation.

1 comment:
I can't believe this passed.
Post a Comment