Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Olympic Sports????

Today I discovered that BMX racing was an Olympic sport... Really?? BMX racing?? How was this chosen and don't we have the XGames for this? It got me wondering what other odd sports were Olympic sports that I didn't realize existed. Not only that but what really constitutes an Olympic sport? I knew that ping pong and badminton were in the Olympics but should they be? If they are, how did bowling get left out? And Softball an Olympic sport? I thought this was for aging men that are trying to stay active. Do they allow beer to be set by second base like on most fields? And if Softball, why not flag football?
I am not saying that I wouldnt watch some of these events because I do. I propose that they eliminate 50% of all the swimming events and start adding some that are interesting to watch. If Michael Phelps can win 8 gold medals, there are way too many swimming events to compete in.
This year we can see Team and Duet Synchronized swimming, Individual Synchronized Swimming (synchronized with whom if its individual?), Synchronized diving, Archery, canoe and kayaking, Equestrian events (and isnt the horse doing all the physical work?), Fencing, Trampoline, Shooting, Field Hockey, Taekwondo, Sailing, and my favorite.. scantly clad beach volleyball with bikini cheer leaders..

Lets see some Sumo wrestling, Dodgeball, Rugby, Tether ball, Lacrosse, Bass Fishing, Roller Derby, Ultimate Fighting, Rock Climbing, Wake boarding, Surfing, Horse Shoes, Kickball, and how about hide and go seek?? I bet the little china men would kick butt at hide and go seek...

From 1900 - 1920 Tug of War was an Olympic sport. I would love to see the return of this event.



Any events would you like to see at the Olympics?????

5 comments:

Janie said...

i would really like to see badminton as an olympic sport. I think its such a true show of strength and technic.

Kent said...

You were quite enthralled with the badminton the other day. I know you are pretty good but not sure if your family reunions matches were the same.

Janie said...

because there is a technique with badminton that I am not aware of??? Maybe so, that birdie can be tricky!

www.mostblessedman.blogspot.com said...

The US badminton team came to my high school and we all scoffed. That is until they played. HOLY CRAP! These guys move! They definitely play at an entirely different level than everyone else.

Anonymous said...

The thing that bugs me on olympics is the judging. How do you tell that one gymnast is .001 points better than the next? Drives me nuts.

So keep the BMX racing. And the rules are 'first one to the bottom of the hill wins.' No style points.

Syncronized swimming? Gone. BMX? In. Tug of war? In.

At least with swimming you have a clear winner.

"Degrees of difficulty?" C'mon...

You've got some good commentary on your blog, btw.