Sunday, May 04, 2008

Hawaii Day 8

Eighth day in Hawaii.... Not at all ready to go home. This trip has been all that we had hoped for in our vacation. We saw alot of what we wanted to see and spent as much time or more than we had hoped for on the beach. That to us was the plan for this vacation. Relax as much as possible. We turned off our cell phones most the time on the trip and in Kauai and at our hotel, we didn't even have cell service most the time. The one thing that I regret not doing more of was surfing. There were perfect waves in the bay that our beach sat on. When I went to rent a board earlier in the week, the guy that rented them said he wouldn't suggest I go out if i was not experienced a bit more surfing. I have only been two or three times. He said something about a westerly swell with a southern rip current of something or another.. Our last day I didn't heed his warning and rented a stand up paddleboard. I had been watching guys riding them all week. They looked like great boards that are more buoyant than a long board and you use a paddle standing up rather than laying down on the board. Not as easy as I had thought. I spent the first half hour practicing on paddling standing up. The next half hour I decided to venture into the waves and try to catch some waves. This took a bit of practice and getting used to but by the time i was worn out, I was catching some waves and having a blast. I cant wait to do it again.
So long Hawaii :( We hope to see you again soon. Today we got a couple of text messages from friends telling us it was snowing in Utah. Two inches fell at our house Thursday morning.

5 comments:

www.mostblessedman.blogspot.com said...

I am happy you guys had fun, but I am wishing we were with you.

We are heading to Puerto Rico in a couple days. Sarah's uncle told her the other day that "surfers in Puerto Rico don't like to share their wave." DUH!!!! Do surfers anywhere?!!! It looks like you didn't have to. Great form!

Kent said...

I didnt want to post the picture of me shooting the curl.. Dont like to show off that much. It was fun and I was a bit worried about getting in the way of the locals there. By the end I figured that I just needed to get out and catch a few waves. The Stand up Paddleboard was interesting. I was afraid the real surfers were going to yell at me for what a wussy I was on a SUP.

eran said...

Kent

You are the man...

I am very jealous or your trip... I could give my inlaws 10k and I still think they would say no to babysitting more than an hour.

Eran

www.mostblessedman.blogspot.com said...

Kent, is that a paddleboard under your arm or are you just excited to see me?

That is the hugest board ever!

Kent said...

It needs to be buoyant for a fat man.