Janie and I have been wanting to try sushi sometime. I am not sure why. Maybe all the Hype about it and all the praise that it gets. For one of our afternoon dates we decided to head out and try some. We picked up our trusty "City Weekly - Best Of" and found Takashi which has been voted best sushi in salt lake for the past 4 years. Must be the best Salt Lake has to offer so we drove down to market street to try it out. We sit down and stumble across the menu. Soon our waiter comes over and we tell him we are rookie sushi eaters and asks if he recommends anything for the beginner. He is of little help and says everything is good. So I end up choosing a combination plate that has salmon, tuna, octopus, and a couple other types of fish. Luckily Janie chooses a teriyaki chicken plate that includes some sushi on the side. I am not sure why I thought I might enjoy sushi. I am not even a sea food type of person. I have seen some types of sushi that comes wrapped in a cucumber or something of the sorts filled with the fish and some rice of some other sorts. That looked appealing to me. The sushi i got was strips of fish wound up on my plate. I took one bite of each and had plenty of water to wash it down. Janie loves sea food and she couldn't eat it either. I blame our waiter mostly for this as he never gave any indication on what we might try out or even explain the different types to us. When we were walking out of the restaurant there was another waiter describing in great detail their sushi plates and recommending different types that sounded delicious. We are open to trying it again so if any family or friends out there are sushi experts let us know and we would love to try it again.
I ask if any of my family might be sushi eaters. While some of you sweet siblings may be sushi eaters it would surprise me. Lynn, maybe from his time in the Philippines which I am not sure of but I think he could tell you what dog tastes like. Growing up, going out to eat with my family entailed heading out to Dee's for their .25 cent hamburgers. How can you go wrong with .25 cent hamburgers? Feed the whole family for a Buck Fifty. Whats even better? Free RC Willey hot dogs on Saturday. Now you cant beat that. Also a favorite was a hot dog from Reams. I used to love going in there and seeing the largest pants in the world hanging from that dome ceiling.
The point to my tangent is that growing up my family did not exactly venture out to new and different styles of food. I can still remember being in high school and going to a Chinese restaurant for the first time. At the Remund household we just kept it simple. Breaded chicken, toast with gravy on it, make your own tortilla pizza's, chicken and rice and the dreaded Shepard's pie with ground beef, string beans, topped with mashed potato and cheese. Who the hell came up with that combination and why did we eat it bi-weekly?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
That was great! Thanks for the good laugh. Yes I do blame our sweet mother for the non adventurous eater that I am. Ahhhhh the simple life. I almost forgot about the weekly trips to Reams for a good hotdog, I was never a hotdog eater, why were they so great anyway? And of course the dreaded shepard's pie. Didn't you get sick from that stuff one time?
OH I'M SO GOING TO GIVE YOU A SUSHI LESSON. I LOVE SUSHI!!! lance and i get it all the time. My favorites are the samauri 21 roll which is cooked shrimp rolled with avacado in the typical sushi roll with rice on the out side, this one has tuna rolled on the outside. tuna is dense not slimy so it's easier to eat than other kinds of raw fish. i wouldn't suggest you get this one until you've eaten sushi a couple of times. you must start with a california roll-nothing raw in it. crab,cucumber,avacado wrapped in rice. do not try the wasabi or the orange stuff (ginger) wasabi is best if you start out by mixing a little in the soy sauce although that is not proper. you have to get used to the taste and figure how much spice you like. never eat the ginger!!! its meant to be eaten b etween bites to cleanse the pallet. yuk! my 2nd most favorite is the crunch roll. it is all cooked but it has fish eggs on it. not fishy at all but they pop in your mouth when you chew hense crunch-jk it is fried so it's crunchy because of that. YUMMMY!
when you come to st g we will go to samauri 21 where i'm a regular for take out lunch. oh another thing is you eat it with your hands and you don't bite it in half. it takes a few times to learn to handle that big of a bite. but biting doesn't work with the wrap (seaweed) yes i am an expert. shocked you didn't I !?! I suggest you start at typenyaki with the california roll. dip it in the soysauce and get a side of their salad dressing for a small dip before you eat. i crave it. it's so filling and not full of a ton of calories and sea weeds is really nutritious!! Rick hasn't really gotten into it but he got a cooked steak roll of some kind and actually liked it. paige works nights at happy sumo in the riverwoods. amy your missing out. thanks kent for the reminder of the dees and reams experience. good times!!!
Hey Kent when you get a chance somtime check out a song Robert Plant did with some other female singer (cant remember her name) called "killing the blues" Let me know what you think. I love it.
Wow Teressa.. So impressed with your vast knowledge of sushi.
Amy, I did in fact get sick from eating shepards pie. I threw up close to 20 times and spent the night in the hospital. That was obviously the last time i ever put that odd combination into my mouth.
We have a great sushi place (I hear) by my house. Yapona.
Mr. Kent...loosing your Sushi virginity! Niiiiice. Anyways, Raquel and I love Seafood...of course we love just about anything that does not have the capacity to eat us first! We actually make Sushi at home. Sushi is good, but expensive little things...you´d think that you were eating some exotic hard to find food. Its a piece of freaken fish people....don´t they live in a thing called the ocean and are pretty much a dime a dozen?! Most people that like fish (don´t eat sushi...if you don´t at least like fish in the first place)...don´t like sushi due to the idea of eating raw fish. Who cares, I love it....and PS...so do my cats for that matter! Rick
Post a Comment