I have been watching "National Parks, America's Best Idea" which is a 6 part series on PBS about the history of our Nations National Parks.
The series starts with an account of how our great President Lincoln set aside Yosemite Valley and protected it from the white man ever seeking riches through what ever they can through reaping and plundering the land.
The program goes on to show the amazing work that John Muir has done to protect these beautiful areas of land from being destroyed. It is amazing to hear the account and life history of John Muir and all that he did to protect our beautiful country. Without him, most all of these areas we now call our National Parks would be ruined. The Redwood Forrest would have been cut down by the greed for lumber in this forest, Yellowstone destroyed and much of its wildlife gone from the greedy white man.
The narrator said that "it is a tragedy for any ones soul that does not visit one of our National Park in their life". How true is this. I am amazed at how many Utahans I have met that have never been to one our our states amazing National Parks. Actually not only amazed but appalled at those that live so closely to these amazing areas. I cannot believe that 3 hours away is Arches National Park which I feel is one of our most amazing parks. The first time I visited this park when I was a teenager it literally effected me in a way that I will always remember. A feeling of the hugeness of life and how insignificant I am in this world. It was a spiritual place to me where I felt an extreme closeness to God. I still feel this when I visit this area each year. I cant quite explain how my soul connects with this area.
I was lucky enough to spend the summer at Bryce Canyon National Park in 1993 and worked at the lodge as a server. I worked long days for 4 days a week and had 2-3 days to myself to explore the canyon and the surrounding area. I often took a remote single trail on my mountain bike and rode until I found myself far away from anyone or anything. It was a quiet solitude that I longed for. I would stop and sit for hours overlooking the vast empty beauty of Southern Utah. It became my cathedral. Never had I felt so much peace and closeness to God. Something I needed during this time in my life and that will always sit deep inside of me.
It was great to learn more about John Muir and his feelings towards these beautiful areas that he fought so hard to protect.
Some great quotes from John Muir:
“Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in where nature may heal and cheer and give strength to the body and soul.”
“Keep close to Nature's heart...and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.”
“Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.”
“God has cared for these trees, saved them from drought, disease, avalanches, and a thousand tempests and floods. But he cannot save them from fools.”
These National Parks belong to each of us. It is an amazing thing that the nation has done to protect these beautiful lands.
For all of those in Utah and other areas of our nation, GET OUT AND SEE THESE AMAZING SPOTS. Arches, Canyonlands, Zion, Capital Reef, Bryce Canyon, Mesa Verde, Yellowstone, and all of our amazing state parks like Goblin Valley and Lake Powell. They are all within 3 to 5 hours away. Two tanks of gas.




5 comments:
Nice post Kent.
I feel the same way...
Agreed...100%
I so agree! I will have to watch the PBS series. When we lived in Utah I loved going to Moab, probably one of my favorite places! If I ever go to Bryce I will have to order "toast two times." :)
Love it! My goal is to visit Arches soon!!! Hopefully we can see you even sooner.
I am with you, dude. We have made visiting the NPs a priority in our lives and have been blessed so far to have visited 26 National Parks so far. We met a couple once at Zion NP that had visited 35. They also made this a priority when they first got married 35 years prior. We once went to Mesa Verde NP with some people. It was super fun. They were a little goofy, but we totally enjoyed it. They told us they did too, but we haven't done anything with them since, so I am beginning to think they thought otherwise! HAHA.
Post a Comment