Friday, January 20, 2006

Invest in silicone

Tradingmarkets.com is having a playboy playmate stock picking contest. How are the girls doing?

"Four out of the 10 Playboy models who are participating in the TradingMarkets/Playboy 2006 Stock Picking Contest are beating 11,705 of the 11,739 equity fund managers in the United States, reports TradingMarkets.com."

That puts them in the top 1% in the nation as far as picking stocks.. Okay, so it is early in the year but pretty interesting.

I have dabbled in the stock market in the past. Nothing major, a couple thousand dollars occasionally. How did I do. I guess I am lucky to say that I pretty much broke even each time. What pissed me off about the whole experience each time I did dabble with stocks is that the stock broker that I talked to was completely wrong. I went in wanting to put most my money in Home Depot. Well, my broker gives me two stocks that are "sure things". Albertsons and First Security Bank. So I split my money up and put 33% into each of the stocks. Results after one year when I cashed out: Albertsons - 25%, First Security Bank -15%, Home Depot +20%.

My conclusion: The stock market is for suckers. A different form of gambling. I would bet that over half of Mutual fund managers have negative performing portfolio each year.

Read Mark Cubans blog posts for excellent commentary on the stock market. Here and Here.


No comments: